The Hopi Indians have a prophetic tradition dating back thousands of years. One of their crucial prophecies was carved on a rock cliff in the Black Mesa of Arizona, some 2000 years ago. This petroglyph (as described by Sun Bear and others) depicts the great spirit pointing to two divergent historical paths across the era of our world (the fourth world).
The upper path basically shows the path of ‘white’ culture (material world/ technological path) and the lower marks the true Hopi path (or spiritual world). At one point the two paths are joined by a vertical line (demarking the arrival of European settlers). Shortly after, two large circles mark the positions of the 1st and 2nd world wars. A bit further along, the heavy dark vertical line, is the decision time i.e. which path to follow, which is today. Following this is a third circle marking what the Hopi call the ‘Great Day of Purification’ marking earthly upheavals and the ‘return of the Great Spirit’. After this event, the upper path zigzags and fades out, while the lower (spiritual path) blossoms into the next (5th) world. See http://www.dreamscape.com/morgana/iapetus.htm for a comprehensive explanation.
Like the Maya, Aztec, and other Native American tribal wisdom traditions, the Hopi tell of a series of ‘worlds’ which have existed. Each may be thought of as a cycle of civilisation. A common aspect is that we are currently in the 4th world. The Hopi describe the demise of the other worlds as follows:
- 1st world: ended when all of the volcanoes of the world erupted and an all consuming fire engulfed and destroyed the first world.
- 2nd world: ended when the poles shifted and the earth was covered in ice. Mountains fell into oceans and seas.
- 3rd world: “The third world was very corrupt and this time it would be destroyed through water. Taiowa sent Spider Woman to talk to the people who still carried the Creator’s song in their hearts. She taught them how to build large boats out of reeds.This, they did, and when their boats were sealed, the waters began to flood the world. The noise of the rushing waters was incredible. Large continents sunk and broke apart into small islands. Incredible rains fell. Then it stopped, and there was silence. The reed boats drifted the people over the silent waters for a long time. When their boats finally stopped on a new coastline, the people walked onto the dry lands for the first time. They had emerged into the fourth world. This is the world we are all living in today.”
The Hopi account of the end of the previous 3rd world by a ‘cleansing’ by way of great flood fits in well with Cayce and others. In fact, similar traditions of a worldwide catastrophe exist among peoples of all continents including Scandinavians, Greeks, Egyptians, Hebrews, Sumerians, Babylonians, Persians, Hindus, Fiji Islanders, Eskimos, native North and South Americans and many other sources.
The Hopis mark the end of the 4th world as a purge by fire (cf. Edgar Cayce above). The end of the fourth world (called Tuwaqachi by the Hopi) is described thus (see Book Of The Hopi, by Frank Waters). Eventually a gourd full of ashes would be invented, which if dropped from the sky would boil the oceans and burn the land causing nothing to grow for many years (atomic bomb). This would be the sign for a certain Hopi to bring out his teachings in order to warn the world that the third and final event would happen soon. That it could bring an end to all life unless people correct themselves and their leaders in time.
The final stage, called “The great day of Purification”, has been described as a “Mystery Egg” in which the forces of the swastika and the Sun plus a third force symbolized by the color “red” culminate either in total rebirth or total annihilation, we don’t know which. But the choice is yours, war and natural catastrophe may be involved. The degree of violence will be determined by the degree of inequity caused among the peoples of the world and in the balance of nature. In this crisis rich and poor will be forced to struggle as equals in order to survive.
The reality that it will be very violent is now almost taken for granted among Traditional Hopi, but man still may lessen the violence by correcting his treatment of nature and fellow man. Ancient spiritually-based communities, such as the Hopi, must especially be preserved and not forced to abandon their wise way of life and the natural resources they have vowed to protect.
Some markers and signs:
- Before the time of the great Purification, they will make metal roads for iron horses and hang metal ropes in the air. (pre-Columbian Hopi prophecy)
- First they will bring back pieces of the Moon which will upset the balance and unleash disastrous forces. (ibidem)
- Near the day of the Great Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky through which ‘people will walk’ . (ibidem)
- The Purification will begin shortly after humans build a great house in the sky (MIR and/ or new European/US space station?). By then there will be fires everywhere and greedy, selfish, power-mad leaders, internal wars. (ibidem)
A suggested timeframe for the worlds:
- 2.2 Million years, B.C.-Treta Yuga begins. This is the rise and fall of Lemuria. This is the first world.
- 867,102 B.C.-Dvapara Yuga begins. The civilization of Mu, (located in the now South Pacific), begins; the emergence of the second world. The continent of Atlantis rises.
- 15,000 B.C.-Ice Age, Mu Sinks. This is the end of the second world.
- 9,628 B.C.-Atlantis sinks. (Possibly occurring in several parts). This is the end of the third world and the birth of the fourth world.
- 3,102 B.C.-Kali Yuga begins. Spider woman looses her immortality, and the world becomes dominated by masculine energy.
- 428 B.C.-Plato writes about the lost continent of Atlantis.
- ~2000 AD – the end of the 4th world?
It is worth noting the Tibetan Buddhists have a similar prophecy, which was discussed when the Dali Lama met with the Hopi Elders a few years ago.